Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Just wanted to put one final post up on the blog. Words cannot describe how great it is to be back home with Christen and the kids. I flew out of Iraq on September 2nd, spent 3 long days in Kuwait and then flew out of Kuwait City on Septmber 5th. We flew from Kuwait to Shannon, Ireland for a brief 2 hour lay over and then flew from Ireland to Atlanta, GA. Total flight time was a little under 18 hours. We landed in Atlanta at 6am on Sunday Septmber 6th, then drove 1.5 hours south to Ft. Benning where we had a few briefings and then proceeded to turn in our weapon and all the gear that was issued to us for the deployment. I was finished with the turn in around 11am. I then signed out, caught a shuttle back to the Atlanta airport and took a 4pm flight back to San Antonio. And by 5:30pm that day I was hugging Christen in the San Antonio airport ... followed by the best kiss of all time.


I have posted some pics below of my journey. Thanks to everyone for calling and wishing us well after my safe return home. Still trying to get caught up and get back into the flow of things so I apologize if we haven't returned everyone's calls just yet.
Well, thank you all for reading and following the blog over these last 7 months. It has been quite and adventure and I am glad I could share it with you all. But that's it for now ... this is CPT Cuniowski ... over and out!
-
-
-
-
C-17 pulling up at the air strip in Mosul. Never thought I would be so relieved to see an airplane landing, but this one was our ticket back home. This monster flew us out of the combat zone in Iraq and into Kuwait.


All of us lining up waiting to boiard the plane in full battle armor in the 120 degree Iraqi heat.



Patiently waiting in line to board the plane.

Kuwait a.k.a. "Tent City". Nothing by field tents as far as the eye can see. Housing for all the troops moving in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Kuwait is the central staging area and anyone traveling to Iraq or Afghanistan or back home to the U.S. stops here.

7 comments:

Heather said...

YAY! We are so glad you are back home safe! Thank you for helping to protect our freedom. Let us know if you need a place to stay or rides or whatever when you start interviewing.

Cathy said...

Welcome back! So glad you are on US soil again. Thanks for your blog, it was great - son informative and well written.

Melanie said...

I will miss your blog but it is worth missing to know you are home safe with your family. I feel like I have gotten to know all of you over the past few months. Leanna is a very lucky woman to have a son like you. Your wife has my respect as weel for giving you up for 7 months for the good of our country. Welcome home and enjoy Disney.

Mom said...

Hi Peter, Welcome home my dear! So glad you are back with us all-Thank you for the time and service you gave to our country. And thank you too for this blog. You probably will never really know how many people were reading along with all of us who know and love you about your experiences as a military physician in a war zone. I'm sure you saw many things you did not write about, and I am sure you touched many lives while you were there. I know you also made some new friends through this blog. I can say we all enjoyed reading it so much, and for me especially, it helped so much to feel closer to you and to know what was really happening there. It gave all of us who read it an understanding of what our military people experience when they deploy. Most people have no idea. So thanks Pete and welcome back! Love you, mom xox

Brian said...

welcome back captain. hope you got the pumpkinhead in one piece.

Mike Z said...

I'm honestly glad I never have to read this blog again ;) It was enjoyable to hear updates and understand what you were dealing with day to day, but I'd rather know you were in a place other than Iraq!

Mary said...

So glad that you are safely home. Thank you for your service to our country. Christen should get a medal for being a supportive wife. It must have been difficult for both of you and your children. Your blog is one of the best things I have ever read. It was sensitive and funny as well as educational to those of us who have no idea what it is like to be in a combat zone. God Bless. Mary & Dennis