Yesterday, I was just minding my own business, doing some reading in my CHU when I get a page saying that the hospital commander is looking for me. Great I thought ... this can't be good. So I made my way over to the ER to find out what was going on. The nurse on shift told me the commander had called twice looking for me and wanted me up at the TOC (Tactical Operations Center ... a.k.a. our unit headquarters) ASAP. "Sweet" I said sarcastically knowing inside that this couldn't be good. So I made my way over to the TOC while at the same time trying to figure out what I could have possibly done to warrant this attention. Maybe a patient filed a complaint, or maybe one of the staff in the ER screwed up, or maybe they decided to let me go home early since I have been doing such an outstanding job (yeah right like that would ever happen).
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Day# 135 - Report to the Commander Immediately!
Anyway, so I finally get up to the TOC and there is a sign on the commander's door. "CPT Cuniowski report to the conference room across the hall." Awesome. So now not only am I going to get chewed out but I am going to get chewed out in front of a conference room full of people. So I walk in and the commander and a bunch of higher ranking people from the unit are having a meeting. The commander calls everyone to attention and the sweat begins to form on my palms. He then says in his thick Louisianna drawl "CPT Cuniowski I have some bad news. We just got word this morning that unfortunately ..." and he pauses for effect, prolonging my agony "... we won't be able to call you Captain anymore. You have been selected for promotion to Major. Congratulations son!" And with that he started laughing as the room broke out in applause and he saw the look of terror and confusion slowly melt away from my face. "Good one sir ... you really got me there" was the only response I could muster as I slowly shook his hand.
So now I am Captain (Promotable) Cuniowski, soon to be Major Cuniowski. Good news since I was really expecting much worse. Just wish my commander didn't enjoy messing with people's heads so much.
Here's a picture of myself and the hospital commander at one of our weekend BBQs.
Posted by Pete at 07:40
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Wow! Congrats Pete! That is pretty awesome. You are the man!
Congratulations Pete, I am so proud. Now I can say I beat a major at scrabble!!
"Let's hear it for Petey!" Congratulations man...that's awesome!
Congratulations Major! Time to have a great cigar!
Whaaaatt! that is so awesome Pete! we are so proud of you! Congratulations, you certainly deserve your promotion, handling all that you do so professionally, and calmly, we will be celebrating with you soon! Love mom and dad
Congratulations!!!!! We are very proud of you - that is a funny story how they got you.
O-4 pay grade! (according to Wikipedia), CONGRATS! When should the promo go through? I'm proud of you, I expect your work ethic and expertise had something to do with it ;)
congrats to you major cuniowski. i'll assume a fresh pair of tighty whities were in order.
Congratulations Major Pete! I'm a first-time poster, so just want to say while I'm here that it's been great to have a Real World Mosul commentary complete with pics- amazing to read your stories and think of all that's going on over there while all seems the same over here. Thinking of you- stay safe!
Congratulations Pete. Good for you.
Dennis and Mary
Post a Comment