Yesterday was Saturday here. But it wasn't just gonna be another meaningless Saturday in Iraq, it was the day we had planned to have our "Cinco de Mayo" party here at the hospital. I know what you're thinking ... why have a Cinco de Mayo celebration on May 2nd? Well, because of work schedules more people would be able to attend if we did it on the 2nd rather than the 5th so that's what we did. We had fresh tortillas, steaks on the grill, alcohol-free beer on ice, and pinyatas hanging in the courtyard behind the hospital. The weather was perfect, sunny and clear with temps in the high 80's. It was around 6pm and I was getting some tips on throwing horseshoes from one of our local "experts". I was just about to light up a cigar while we were waiting for the steaks to be done (my new found interest in cigars will have to be discussed in one of my future posts) when we got the call that we had multiple trauma patients in route to the hospital. And just like that ... our Cinco de Mayo party was over before it had even gotten started as everyone rushed to the ER to prepare for the arrival our of patients.
Some of you may have read on the web about the attack here yesterday. An Iraqi Army soldier working with U.S. forces walked into a building on an Army compound just south of the hospital and shot five U.S. soldiers. Two were killed instantly and the remaining three were brought to us by helicopter. Two of the three patients we received were in critical condition and and after we stabilized them in the ER, our surgeons spent most of the night trying to control the damage in the operating room. And in the end it was a success as we were able to save all three soldiers' lives.
It was a long night, and it wasn't until around midnight that some of us made it back to the party. The steaks were cold and charred, the near-beer was warm, and no one really felt like celebrating. I finally got a chance to smoke my cigar with some of the other guys as we sat around and discussed the events of the last few hours, but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I would have liked to. So I headed off to bed and with the internet and phones blacked out I couldn't call Christen and the kids.
This morning I sat on the airfield and watched two planes take off from Mosul. The first was headed for Germany with the three surviving patients from yesterday's brutal attack. We had given them a fighting chance here in Mosul but they still had a long recovery ahead and I wished them well. The second plane was heading back to the United States. I watched as the personal belongings and gear of the two fallen soldiers were loaded onto the plane. This was followed by two caskets, each drapped with an American flag, being gently carried across the tarmac by their fellow soldiers. I said a silent prayer for them and their families and then headed back into the hospital to check on my patients. Although I recently wrote about how mundane the days have become, yesterday was not just another boring Saturday in Iraq. In fact, the longer I am here, the more acceptable boring becomes. Because when things are slow for us, it means American soldiers and their families aren't suffering. So I'll take boring any day of the week and as I finish this post I am hoping to enjoy just another boring Sunday in Iraq.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Day #65 - Not Just Another Boring Saturday ...
Posted by Pete at 06:52
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Wow. Crazy stuff Pete. I actually hadn't heard about that yet but will certainly scour the web now to see what I can dig up.
So he was cooperating with US forces until one day he just snapped? Did I read that right? What else do we know about this freak and was he taken out?
Clearly a difficult time for all of you on the base...but I'm sure it's a rewarding feeling knowing that you saved the lives of 3 soldiers. That is awesome. Do Dr.'s get any kind of medal for saving lives?
Not that you're the materialistic medal hording type, but just curious...I hadn't thought of that before.
Hang in there buddy; stay safe! I'll have me a cigar later tonight and will be thinking about you...
J. Neutron.
I guess they did take him out.
For those of you interested in reading one of the reports in the media click here.
When I listen to the news here, it just doesn't have the same impact as your description of things. For years I watched the news about Viet Nam until I became immune to it. Thank you for keeping it real and reminding me to pray for all of you. God Bless
Pete, I have the same sentiments as Mary. I think we do grow immune to it but listening to your stories makes it all very real. I work with someone who has a son in Baghdad and she is amazed with your blog. He is not very communicative so she is very jealous of your constant communication with us.
On another note, I have become a very skilled cribbage player so now I might have TWO games I can challenge you at.
Peter, Sometimes where you are does not even seem real to me, it feels the same as it does when you are just in Texas with your family living your life. Other times when something like Saturday happens everything becomes very real as my eyes fill w/tears as I read your post. I can only imagine the feelings you and your fellow soldiers must be having as you try to save more lives of good people just like you. All we at home can do is send you our love and support and keep all of you in our prayers as we are. I am sickened by the tactics of our enemy. May good triumph over evil and may you continue to help and heal as many brave soldiers as possible. I love you..Mom
Wow. Awful tragedy, glad you managed to stabilize the 3. Sorry about the loss, it must be miserable seeing the flag draped coffins. We took Matthew to the ER last night, he needed 5 stitches under his chin to close the aftermath of a face plant off his bike. I was talking with the ER doc as he was cleaning and preping the cut. He said that all ER doctors are alike, they are good when facing trauma and quickly learn to accept it. He then said that as you get older (he has 4 kids), you learn to love a boring day though! Your post was so similar to what he just said. He made it clear that what he actually enjoys now is working on cases like Matthew's, but is always ready for whatever comes in.
I'm looking forward to learning about the cigars, and love the term 'near-beer' :) Hope you have a nice long stretch of boredom ahead of you!!
Post a Comment