Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day# 86 - Sweet Dreams

I went to sleep last night troubled by some issues that have recently disrupted the usually mundane life of the Cuniowski clan. Despite these worrisome thoughts, I had a very good dream involving my early departure from Iraq. The U.S. government had finally come to it senses and realized we have no business in this God forsaken part of the world. I was on a plane, heading back home three months earlier than scheduled. Thinking about seeing Christen and the kids at the airport, and what it would be like to finally be home again ...


When an enormous boom literally knocked me out of bed. Talk about a rude awakening. My amazing dream about returning back home early was instantly replaced by my attempt at slipping my shoes on while still half asleep and running to the nearest bunker. That is when reality began to set back in. I was still here, hunkered down in the Iraqi desert, where the gentle beeping of the bedside alarm clock has been replaced by the nearby explosion of an IED. I found out later that the blast that rocked our world this morning was a car bomb that exploded about 500 yards from where we were sleeping. Thankfully nobody was seriously injured.

So as I get ready for bed tonight I am secretly hoping for the same type of dream. I am only about half way done with my tour but as I look at the reading on the Countdown Timer in the corner of my screen ... 3 months, 5 days, 10 hours, 24 minutes, and 43 seconds ... doesn't seem too far away.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Dear Pete - Everynight we are praying for you to have good dreams, fast time, cooler weather and safety as you continue to be a hero to all of us!!!!! Take care and know how proud everyone is of you and all your new friends you have met.

Mom said...

Dear peter, Yes, there are some issues for sure that are troubling our family lately! I'm thinking back to 1 year ago today - Mike and Sabrina's wedding day! What a blessing that we were all together to enjoy a beautiful celebration of their marriage. I will always treasure times like those and also times much less grand, of just visiting together and enjoying a coffee or going for a walk with the kids or playing cards or cooking dinner...we will continue to have those times too Pete, you will be home soon and back with your family. I pray for you daily and God will hear our prayers i know. i love you...Mom