Well, today is my 33rd birthday and although I'd much rather be spending it with all of you and sipping on an ice cold beer, I am stuck here in Iraq with my new surrogate family. The staff in the ER actually surprised me with a little cake tonight and we smoked some birthday cigars afterward so it wasn't such a bad day afterall.
I want to give a quick shoutout to my brothers ... Happy Birthday Bros! Nick was June 4th and Mike's is today just like his big brother. Skype has been terrible lately so sorry I haven't been able to call, but I hope you guys throw a few drinks back for me tonight.
I also had to put this pic up of Ben in his baseball uniform. How frigging cute is this kid? Wish I could have been there to see his first game. Looks like something straight out of Bad News Bears. And I love the jersey ... I don't think I ever had a jersey with my name on it growing up.


Lastly, today is good day not just because it is my birthday but becauseI was also able to finally make my way off the disabled list and start exercising again. Eight days ago I dislocated a rib on the right side after getting hit while playing basketball. Let me tell you, this was not a good feeling. I have had my chest cracked open and the pain from this rib was a close second. After hobbling around and trying not to take deep breaths for 4 days I finally got an xray and had the rib put back in by one of our docs here, also not a fun experience, although it did feel a lot better afterwards. Then it was 4 more days of physical therapy and pain killers, and today I was finally able to make it back to the gym. Gotta start pounding those protein shakes and hitting the big weights if I want to be as big as my brothers when I get back in September.

May be hard to see on this xray but it was the 4th rib on the right. Ignore the metal wires around my sternum, those are a souvenir from my prior heart surgery.

8 comments:
Happy Birthday to you and your brother. Sorry you can't be with your loved ones on your birthday.
Happy Birthday! If you'd get on Facebook I could post that there instead of putting it on your wife's, or waiting for one of you to update the blog.... I hope you made lemonade out of your situation today, when you're 50 I'm sure you'll still remember your 33rd as well as your 21st ;) Sorry to hear about the rib, you got 2.5 months or so to try and reclaim your status as the biggest Cuniowski. Happy b-day to Nick and Mike as well, as I've always said you guys are 'back to school babies'. "Oh Andy, look at those cute kids at the bus stop, I want one" "sweetie come on, the Yanks are playing, I'm free in November" Something like that. Actually, that explains Sandy's b-day too! :)
Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Pete!! Happy Birthday to you!
Now, sing it again in a Mexican accent that you know I do sooo well (right James???)
We love ya!
Brian, Sue, Evan and Addison
Happy Birthday buddy! Sorry to hear about your rib...although I must confess, they look fine to me in the xray ;) (No idea what I'm looking for in there).
What kind of cigar did you have? I had a Cohiba last night and was thinking of you...be well bud!
Sue - your mexican accent is second to none (or is that Australian? They're so similar). Ha.
Thanks everybody. Appreciate the birthday wishes.
Happy Birthday a day late Pete!
Pete, so sorry I didn't send a card, I'm a bad mother-in-law. But Happy Birthday a day late!! You're the perfect son-in-law, Christen is so lucky to have you. And I've never heard one bad mother in law joke from you (I'm sure you do it out of earshot, which is ok). Stay safe, I love you, Cathy
Happy Birthday Pete! You never mentioned the rib when we spoke - but that's so like you! I'm used to it by now! To Mike Z, yes it was exactly like that!!! How did you know? And a shout out to Cathy, your other Mom, it's weird how you and Christen both have the perfect Mother-in law....mmmmm...Love you Mom and Dad
Post a Comment