Not much going on here recently. It has been unusually quiet lately ... the calm before the storm that is expected to hit after June 30th. That is the date that we will be pulling all of our troops out of Mosul and turning control over to the Iraqi Police and the Iraqi Army. Needless to say, that many of us here are not looking forward to this transition because it means we are going to be sitting ducks on the compound. We will be surrounded by insurgent groups who will now have much more flexibility to plan attacks and move around the city without being apprehended by U.S. forces. Hopefully, all hell will not break loose but we are preparing for the worst.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Day# 109 - The Calm Before the Storm
Anyway, on to happier thoughts. I posted a few pics below. We recently had a promotion ceremony and party for a few of our more senior doctors that were up for promotion. Plenty of cigars and near-beer to be had by all. Plus I threw in a few pics of my recent ankle sprain that I got while playing basketball. Let me tell ya, it is tough trying to keep up with all this 18-20 year old guys out here. I think I am now leading our unit for most non-combat related injuries while on deployment.
Promotion ceremony in front of one of our Medical Evac choppers.
Some of the docs I work with posing for pics after the ceremony.
Enjoying an ice cold near-beer in the 120 degree Iraqi afternoon.
Posted by Pete at 13:36
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
you should just spray some windex on that sprain - that should heal it.
The troops are pulling out but you are still staying? Why is that?
That ankle looks terrible by the way.
I have to echo both of Sandy's comments / questions.
So they're leaving...but you're staying...how's that work?
And wow to the ankle...gross.
Nice ankle, it looks way better than that mustache you tried to grow.
Now that my e-insult is out of the way, I'm not sure what to make of the troop pullout. I've read a bit in the past 12 hrs, a lot speculation that the Iraqi police force is no where near ready to take full control, and that we may not fully withdraw. Regardless, I hope and pray for the best possible outcome.
I did see this, on a happier note. Will any real beer be heading your way?
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/48113467.html
Bri - the Windex did wonders for my ankle
Sandy & James - the whole situation is jacked up. Our troops aren't leaving Iraq, we are just going to be staying on the compounds waiting to be attacked or responding to situations as they come up. Right now our guys are actively patrolling the cities, keeping the peace and killing the bad guys. After June 30th we won't be doing that anymore and supposedly the Iraq police and Iraqi army will be taking over.
Pete, i don't know what to say about that ankle, or the whole situation over there except please be CAREFUL! We will all be praying that you will all stay safe and come home quickly. I love you, Mom
Post a Comment