Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day #39 - In Remembrance

The tightest security on our compound is at the main gates, but the area around the dining facility and the gym runs a close second. There are armed guards, barbed wire, concrete barriers, and absolutely no bags of any kind allowed inside. Cameras and photos are also forbidden in these two areas. The reason for this dates back to a tragic day in December 2004 and is related to the fact that large numbers of soldiers congregate in these relatively confined areas, making them prime targets for terrorist attacks. I came across this memorial outside of our dining facility (see pic below) while walking back from chow the other day. I didn't remember hearing about this in the news so I did a quick Google search and found the details below.


On December 21, 2004, fourteen U.S. soldiers, four American contractors, and four Iraqi soldiers were killed in a suicide attack on the dining facility in Mosul. The blast also injured 72 other soldiers eating at that time. The attack was carried out by a suicide bomber carrying a backpack filled with explosives and dressed like an Iraqi police officer who walked into the crowded cafeteria at dinner time and detonated the bomb. An Islamic terrorist group later declared responsibility for the attack in an Internet statement.


Pretty scary stuff considering I spend a significant portion of my time there, eating three meals a day in that very same cafeteria. Makes me feel good to see all the extra security that has been put in place since that terrible day in 2004.

4 comments:

Mike Z said...

Who's allowed on base? Do you have Iraqi police and miltary on base with you or is it Army only? That's a scary story, but I hear you on the comfort added security gives people. The easiest to attack targets will most likely be attacked, me and you need to go to the Kittery trading post when you get home and go gun shopping ;) We can BBQ, lift some sandbags, then Beth and Christen can hit the outlets while we take the kids weapon shopping. I'm sure the ladies will love that :)

Sandy said...

Pretty scary stuff indeed. You know you make us all scared sick with stories like that. Those poor people. I can't even imagine being in a situation like that. Stay safe Pete! We love you!

Mom said...

pete, i remember the story, so sad and right before Christmas too. i didn't remember it was Mosul though. Your stories are such a good way of bringing the reality of what is going on over there to all of us. Our world needs healing, I am proud that you are doing your part...love mom

Pete said...

Mike - definitely not only Army on the base. There are Iraqi police, Iraqi interpreters, contractors from the U.S., Turkey, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Uganda, and a few other countries. As well as Air Force, Marines, and British soldiers.
Weapons shopping, grilled meat and lifting sandbags ... life doesn't get any better than that!