With all the downtime over here you start to learn a lot about the people you work with everyday. The other day I came across an article in Time magazine (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1830420,00.html) about beer pong. That's right Bri ... I said beer pong (aka Beriut). The article went on to discuss how beer pong has recently been outlawed by many universities (UMass included) because of concerns for binge drinking and student alcohol abuse. Who cares right? We have all been there and done that and we turned out okay ... well most of us did (sorry Bri).
Anyway, we started talking about the article and it turns out that one of the medics I work with in the ER here in Iraq is a huge beer pong fan. Now, I too have enjoyed many fine games of beer pong back in the day. But with three kids and two jobs I have not had the opportunity to participate in many games recently. Although I hear that things can get pretty competitive up in Norton, MA so next time we are in the area I'll have to check it out.
Anyway, I digress ... so back to my story. Well it turns out that this medic went to Las Vegas last year and played in the World Series of Beer Pong (WSOBP) Tournment. Not only did he get to participate in this glorious event on a national level but he and his teamates finished among the top ten teams. For most of us guys it doesn't get any better than this. When you combine free beer, Las Vegas, beautiful women in bikinis (http://www.liquorsnob.com/pictures/wsobp08-thumb.jpg), and the spirit of competition ... you may have just created the perfect sporting event. Needless to say, we are in the process of starting our own beer pong team here in Iraq. There is plenty of alcohol-free beer around and lots of time to work on that toss. So Bri ... start working on your game now because registration for the 2010 tournament closes in December and we are going to Vegas baby! (http://www.bpong.com/wsobp)
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Day #46 - Beer Pong Anyone?
Posted by Pete at 08:19
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I want to comment on this post, but I'm dying for the mustache update.
I, too, have a storied past, littered with tales of beer pong, anchorman, and ...others, but I must say, the mustache update is compelling.
B.L.O.W.N (Beirut League of West Norton) starts back up May 9th! I'm getting better than I was last year, in fact when I get simultaneous naps from the kids I'm in the garage practicing for two hours...BLINDFOLDED! Vegas doesn't know what's coming.
C'mon Pete...tell them about the stache...
Anchorman? I'm familiar with the movie...but not the drinking game. I do recall you were a fan of "quarters".
Anyway - I'm so in for the WSOBP! Brian, you're the captain...just like Vince Vaughn's character in Dodgeball. Question though: can you blow on the ball as it goes in the cup to knock it out in the official rules?
Bri - Sign me up as an honorary member of B.L.O.W.N. Blindfolded ... come on dude you are like Luke Skywalker in Star Wars ... Vegas doesn't stand a chance.
James - starting getting your beer pong toss on now cause next January we are going to Vegas baby for the WSOBP!. Blowing balls is weird dude no matter what sport you are talking about.
Wow...I suppose I walked right into that one. Well done Pete-e.
UTUTUTUTUTUTUTUTUTUT
Post a Comment