Hello again everybody, it's good to be back. After a week of frequent power outages, internet difficulties, and communications blackouts I am finally able to make my return to the blogging world. Life is good once again here in beautiful, sunny Iraq. It is amazing how quickly people's morale breaks down when you don't have access to the internet. For most of us here the internet is the only means of communicating with our families via Skype and email. Access to phones that can dial back to the states is limited and the process is very tedious as you are connected to one operator after another trying to get through to your family. People were beginning to get very grumpy (myself included) after going almost 7 days without the internet. If it had gone on much longer there may have been some sort of revolt. Cries of "Give us internet or give us death" could be heard across our compound. Thankfully peace was restored before a bunch of cyberspace deprived doctors and nurses tried to take matters into their own hands.
And on another positive note, today marks the 60th day since I left home. It's hard to believe that 2 months have gone by already. Two months since I got to play with the kids, kiss my beautiful wife goodnight, or just kick back on the couch and relax. This deployment has definitely made me appreciate all that I have been blessed with, and have sometimes taking for granted. So hang in there sweetie ... 1/3 third down ... 2/3's to go ... and then I'll be safely back in your arms.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Day #60 - I'm Back ...
Posted by Pete at 02:34
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It's Melanie again (that works with your Mom). I've been out of work for 10 days so far after surgery and I was getting really worried about you. I was going to call Leanna today. Glad it was just a computer outage. Stay healthy and sane over there.
Glad to see you back Pete!!
Hey bud! I've checked the blog everyday looking for an update...was getting a little nervous but it's great to see you're back in the blogging world.
What's the latest over there? Anything exciting?
Hi Pete! So good to have you back! We all missed you and your stories. I hope you thought of some good stuff to write about during the break. So glad you are one third of the way through! And yes we all have many blessings and they make life so good. Melanie, I hope you are doing well and thank you for thinking of Pete! Hey....where is Mike Z? he's usually the first to log in with a comment! Well it's sure good to have you back Pete and everyone else too! Dad and I always enjoy reading all the comments from everyone...Love you Mom and Dad xoxoxo
Pete-glad you survived the blackout, it must have been brutal not having that conduit home. Missed the updates, glad it was just technical difficulties though. Congrats on the 60 day milestone, I just did 12 days and it was tough a few times so I promise I empathize with you, you'll definately come home with a new perspective and appreciation for your family.
Leanna - I tried to reply from Japan but the wifi wasn't cooperating :) I will admit though that the most exciting thing going for me lately was when he was posting pics of the stache, I hope he goes for if again! Hope you guys are doing well.
Glad you're back and that your absence was caused by power outages and blackouts and not something more critical. Although, I imagine it is terrible to be unable to contact your family and friends. God bless all of you.
Post a Comment