Friday, April 10, 2009

Day #42 - A Day of Mourning

This morning started off just like any other morning since my arrival here in Iraq. A few quick briefings, saw a couple of patients with minor complaints in the ER, and then headed off to the gym to try and squeeze in a quick workout. Around 10:30am there was an explosion that rocked our entire compound. As I stood in the gym I felt the shock wave pass through me and shake the building nearly knocking me to the ground. And then came the sound wave. It was unlike anything I had ever heard before. It was so loud that I thought a rocket may have hit on or near the building I was in. The adrenaline was pumping as I ran outside heading for the bunkers just across the street. That's when I noticed a huge cloud of black smoke rising from the ground just on the other side of our compound. After waiting for a couple of minutes to make sure it was safe I began sprinting back towards the hospital.

As I burst into the ER I was greeted by our head nurse who said we got a call from one of our units saying they were bringing in causalties but didn't know how many. We quickly began preparing for the worst as all the physicians and nurses gathered in the ER. As the first vehicle from the scene rolled up we quickly got the doors open and transfered the one patient inside to the ER. He had multiple shrapnel injuries but they were relatively minor wounds and we all breathed a collective sigh of relief as he was whisked away to the operating room in stable condition. Over the next 30 minutes were not so fortunate. The next vehicle pulled up but the faces of the soldiers inside said it all before we even got the doors open. Inside lay the lifeless body of one of our soldiers, gently being craddled by the other members of his squad. We quickly got him out of the truck and onto a litter. Two of our medics brought him into the hospital as the next vehicle was pulling up in front of the ER. Unfortunately, this same scenario was repeated again and again. Before it was over, we had pulled the bodies of five of our fellow soldiers out of those vehicles. Each time I was hoping that we would have the chance to save that soldier's life ... to do everything we could to make sure he got home to see his family again. Sadly, their injuries were so severe that we were never even given that opportunity.

Later that afternoon, the unit commander came over to the hospital and presented the one survivng soldier with a purple heart. It was a short, poignant ceremony as the injured soldier laid in his bed surrounded by his fellow soldiers from the unit. The unit commander spoke kindly of the soldiers we lost and reinforced the importance of our mission here attempting to both motivate and console those soldiers that had lost five of their breatheren today. He then turned the floor over to the injured soldier and asked if he had anything he wanted to say. He did manage to get a few words out before he broke down into tears ... "Just go out there and get those motherfuckers for me!"

It was a long, hard day after that. Just a few hours ago I watched as five caskets drapped in American flags were loaded onto a plane headed for the United States. They were finally heading back home but not in the way they and their families had imagined. Five families back home waking up to the news that they had lost a loved one today ... husbands, fathers, brothers, sons. It was a nice ceremony. One last chance for us to pay our respects to those whom had made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. And I couldn't stop the tears from welling up as I stood and watched the young men who had fought beside those killed today, embrace one another and cry for their fallen brothers.

The blast was caused by a suicide bomber driving a dump truck filled with 10,000 pounds of explosives. The driver detonated the bomb in front of the Iraqi police headquarters and next to a squad of our soldiers leaving our compound to patrol the city. I have included a few links with more information on what happened here today for those that are interested. It is amazing how fast information gets to the media. We saw the story on CNN before we even found out the details of what happened from our intel guys here in Mosul.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/04/10/2009-04-10_five_us_soldiers_killed_by_truck_bomb_in_mosul_iraq_deadliest_single_attack_on_u.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514022,00.html

9 comments:

julie said...

I saw that on CNN and immediately thought that must be near you. I wondered if Christen had seen it and how long until you were able to contact her. They used to shut down communication lines until families could be notified, didn't want names leaking early, do they still do that?

James Olender said...

Same here Pete - I also heard about that story in the morning but figured "Iraq's a big place...it could've been anywhere". But I guess at the end of the day, there's only certain pockets where this stuff goes on.

Bittersweet for us blog readers I suppose: so very sorry to hear about the loss of 5 brave American soldiers...but so happy to hear that you are safe.

I would imagine that your frustration in the ER was eerily similar to that of ER doctors during the 9/11 aftermath. So many rushed to their respective hospitals, whether they were on call or not, to help out. Unfortunately, there were so few people to help...they either made it out safely...or didn't.

Wow. Crazy stuff. Again, so happy you are safe buddy! Talk to you soon.

James

Sandy said...

Thank god you are safe Pete. This entry left me speechless and in tears. Back in the states we hear about these attacks so often on the news that we don't even pay much attention to them anymore. It comes as almost expected news. But to hear it told like you just did, it completely breaks my heart. If only the media could do such a good job of holding these soldiers' lives and sacrifices in a higher esteem. I love you Pete and pray that you come back to us safely soon.

Mike Z said...

What angers me the most is how this happened during Holy week, Easter is always a dangerous time. I appreciate how Foxnews calls this a homicide bombing and not suicide. Sorry for you loss, I'm very proud you were able to help that soldier though. If I was wounded, the only comfort I'd have is knowing I was being looked after by a skilled Dr like you. Happy Easter bud.

nick c said...

I'm sorry that there was not more you could have done to save those soldiers. May they rest in peace and the cowards who planned these horrible acts will get whats coming to them. Pete stay safe and Happy Easter, I love you bro.

Vasia said...

Pete I'm just so happy to know that your safe! I'am very sorry for what had happend to those soldiers and also for there families. May they rest in peace.
You are doing a great job keeping everyone updated.Please continue to stay safe and strong.
We will always keep you in our prayers and for time to go by quick and safe for you.
Happy Easter, God be with you.
Love you Pete.

Brian said...

pete - glad to know that you're alright. we're always thinking of you and praying for your safety. happy easter.

the d's

Brooke said...

We are so thankful for all that you are doing. Happy Easter and stay safe!
xoxoxo
The Greens - Ryan, Brooke & Kate

Leanna said...

Peter, I agree with Sandy, your telling of this story makes the men who died seem so real to all of us. The news reports it, but we don't really understand it the same way as we do when you tell it. I grieve along with you and your fellow soldiers at the senseless loss of precious life. I pray for all of you daily and for an end to this tragic conflict. Have a safe and blessed Easter and remember that love and goodness will always triumph over evil in the end. God bless you. Love mom and dad xoxo