My journey began with a 4am wake up and one last cup of coffee at home while sitting quietly with Christen. Neither one of us had much to say but we both knew what the other was thinking ... "This is really going to suck and I don't know how we are going to get through this!" The whole crew then drove me to the airport and after a potty break for Ben (the first of 29 for the day) we had a teary goodbye at the security checkpoint. Christen was trying to be strong despite the tears welling up in her eyes. The sadness in Jenna’s big brown eyes nearly broke my heart, Ben just looked confused, and Ryan gave me a big smile as he sat there oblivious to what was really going on.
The reality of what I am undertaking didn’t really set in until that morning. The night before Christen had given me a scrap book containing emails and messages from friends and family that she had put together. It was amazing. And for the first time the importance of what I was doing began to hit home. The kind words of encouragement and support from everyone helped ease the pain of leaving those I care so much about. The sentiment continued at the airport as I had multiple people (random strangers) approach me and thank me for what I am doing for our country. The Delta employee at the gate stopped me and asked me to step aside while boarding. My fears that there was some problem with my ticket melted away when she upgraded my seat to first class and thanked me for serving our country.
Then as our plane landed in Georgia, the flight attendant made an announcement thanking all of the military passengers and this was followed by a round of applause from the other passengers. While awaiting my connecting flight in Georgia, a group of soldiers in uniform returning from Iraq emerged from one of the gates and everyone in the surrounding area began clapping and thanking them for their service. It was really inspiring. And although leaving Christen and the kids is the hardest thing I have yet to do ... the tremendous amount of support I have received so far truly makes me proud to embark on this journey, and endure the sacrifices all military families have dealt with during times of war. Yeah I know, it is only day #1 of 180, but I am trying to be optimistic people ...
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Day #1 - 28 Feb 2009 - "Thank you for your service ..."
Posted by Pete at 19:14
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Hey pal, trying to fix your comments section...for some reason I couldn't post earlier, now it seems like it's working...
Off to a great start Pete with this Blog, I'll be checking it EVERY day! I was so happy to read about the upgrade too, the popular support for the war is what it is but the support for the soliders is universal. I am proud of you, we all are. (I know I didn't put that in your message but I think you know me well enough :) You're going to have a better tan than Christen at least when the summer is over!
Beautifully written. I look forward to reading about your adventure (especially now that I know you have a talent with the pen!)and I look forward to reading about day 180 when you are returning safely to your family. I have tears in my eyes as I read of joy and sorrow and I'm especially proud of you and Christen and what you are doing. Keep writing, it will keep you connected to a home that may feel so far away and it's amazing how purging into cyberspace can keep a clear head. There are many people at home who are thinking of you, will be checking in on you and look forward to your return. All our love! ( we all love pictures too, as you know )
I cant say this didn't bring tears to my eyes when I read it. This must've been so hard for you,I can't begin to imagine. You've got a great start though, we do appreciate what you're doing so much and will be thinking of you everyday!! Hang in there!! I look forward to reading your days ahead. We love you so much!!
keep 'em coming captain. good start.
Pete, you're a great guy and we'll keep you in our prayers daily.
With all our love,
Gram and Grampa Reale
I can't imagine what that day must have been like for you and Chris. It breaks my heart to read this but I am so proud of both of you for being able to do this. Love you and miss you already. I'll be looking forward to reading this everyday!
Hey Pete - SO glad you have a blog, we will be watching for updates with great pride for all you are doing!! Take care buddy!
Hi Peter, Thanks for starting this blog, it will be great to read about all that you are experiencing over there and remember we will be with you everyday because you are always in our hearts. We love you , Mom and Dad
Post a Comment