Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Day #12 – 11 March 2009 - “Destiny”

Many of you probably heard the story of how Christen and I met almost 13 years ago. But I was thinking about it the other day and thought it had some relevance to this deployment so bear with me. In the spring of my sophomore year (April 1996) my good friend Mike and my roommate George were hanging out drinking a few beers and discussing our plans for next semester. We had planned to move to a different dorm on campus in the hopes of meeting some new people (mostly women) and making the most of our last 2 years of college. We had the paperwork all completed and planned on submitting it the next day. That night as we talked about it, we suddenly decided that maybe moving wasn’t such a good idea after all. None of us had a really good reason for changing our minds but we all agreed that it was the right thing to do.

Fast forward now to September 1996. I stayed in the same room and we had some new women move into the room across the hall. One of them caught my eye, a stunning brunette with a cute South Shore accent. I heard a rumor that she had a boyfriend but didn’t really care. We met one warm September night when her and her roommate knocked on my door and offered to let us borrow their fan. Who would have guessed that four years later we would be getting married just a few miles from where we met that night. And after nine years of marriage and three kids later ... here we are.

Christen and I always joke that it was destiny that brought us together. Maybe it was. I’m pretty sure that if I had decided to move out the semester before I probably would have never met my beautiful wife and best friend. It’s funny how something that seemed so insignificant at the time changed my life forever. I am hoping this deployment may contain the same kind of hidden significance. Maybe it will bring us closer, make us realize how much we mean to each other, or affect our life in some other positive way. As I sit here typing this, I am looking at the engravement on the inside of my wedding band and can’t help but smile. It reads … “Destiny - August 12th, 2000.” I couldn’t agree more.


Well everybody … wish me luck because tomorrow we fly to Iraq and I begin my work at the 47th combat support hospital. I’ll put some updates on the blog as soon as I can. Until then, this is CPT Cuniowski signing out.

11 comments:

Brian said...

take care of yourself buddy. we're thinking of you in Norton.

Christy said...

Hi Pete

Hello from Lynbrook USA - Christen and you are so lucky, love is often taken so much for granted, but not with you two. We all love you and keep you, Christen and the children in our thoughts.

Love Christy

Ange said...

Pete if you don't stop writing blog entries that make my cry...I threaten to possibly stop reading. I now have to pull up a box of tissues before I visit your site. This is so terribly sweet, This experience will definitely change your life and relationship for the better. Abscence makes the heart grow fonder! Be safe,we're thinking of you!

Nana said...

What more could a mother want for her baby than someone to love her and be her best friend. You're the best son-in-law!! Take care of yourself, I love you and think of you everyday.

Anonymous said...

Loved the title and instantly knew what this post was about, I need to chime in too to give your readers some behind the scenes details. Christen originally had no idea as to the whole destiny thing. She moved in like any new freshman, met her new neighbors across the hall, got to know Tara, and unpacked her stuff. You on the other hand fell for her the minute you saw her. A bunch of us got together in your dorm, and were debating the hotness of all the new girls, and you wouldn't stop talking about Christen, you kept saying her name, probably so you wouldn't forget it when you saw her again. Then after a few days, you were convinced that you were going to be dating that semester. When the boyfriend issue came up one day, you said it was your destiny to be together, and kept defending yourself by simply saying 'Destiny' whenever one of questioned how your plan was going to work out. Then it became a running joke, you'd flirt with her and one of us would shout 'Destiny' and you'd shoot an evil eye, or we'd all have a few too many and imitate you saying it, those were good times.....

I admire your persistance with her, it was definately the smartest plan you've hatched, and the most succesful too ;) Nice post bud, I've seen you guys together from the 1st hour and am 110% convinced that you guys will turn this deployment into something wonderful.

Oh, and you may as well remind everyone that you lost your original ring on your honeymoon!!! That will never NOT be funny to me, sorry, but the plane lands in Jamaica, Pete jumps in the water, and comes out without a ring on his 2nd day of marriage. There's always an adventure with you 2, but they always work out for the better.

Pete said...

Thanks Mike. Can always count on you to bring about all the embarrassing details. I plead the fifth on this one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is too strange, pal...and I'm not making this up...

The other day when we got you car, CHristen & I went to Jared's (ya know, "He went to JAred's!)...she needed to have her wedding rings fixed. So then, I took off mine (which I never do), to see if maybe I should have them cleaned, and the prongs adjusted (they really need to be). And, I couldn't help but look at he inside of my wedding ring to read the inscription...and I just smiled to myself, thinking of you;) The universe works in mysterious ways! Luv you!

(PS. I know Sandy & James are reading this and thinking "if I have to hear about that stupid fan one more time...")

James Olender said...

LOL. All I could think of while reading that post was how mean I am for mocking you guys with that story...although Mikey Z. did a pretty good job too, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Let's face it...you guys are cutie pies. Pete - best of luck in Iraq. I think I might actually be more excited about it! Can't wait to hear how things are out there. Be well and be safe...before you know it, we'll be on the links, hanging out with Mickey Mouse.

I leave you with this: "I just want to roll you up into a ball..."

-James

Sandy said...

We definitely have heard that story a million times but I don't think I've ever wanted to cry after hearing it before. You guys are awesome and will make it through this stronger than ever.
I wish you all the best Pete. Stay safe and I can't wait to hear from you again.
Love you!

Unknown said...

Ahh! Destiny...Destino...also known as Divine Intervention,

Everything happens for a reason dear boy, even this deployment. Come home to us all safely and know that we all love you much! And all our love to Christen too for being such a perfect partner for you to share your life with! Love, Mom and Dad xo

Brooke said...

What a beautiful post! We are thinking of you ALL everyday...best wishes and lots of love!

xoxoxo
The Greens - Brooke, Ryan and Kate