It was a slow day in the ER today and when you leave a bunch of guys alone, with a pair of hair clippers and nothing to do ... things are going to get ugly. My boss (the guy with the glasses and bushy mustache in the photo below) convinced everyone working in the ER that as a sign of unity and camaraderie we all needed to shave our heads and grow a mustache.
Now, I normally wear my hair pretty short so the haircut was not really a big deal for me. The mustache on the other hand is going to be a challenge. Dad ... I really wish I had gotten some of your facial hair genes for this one. Those of you that know me realize that growing facial hair is not one of my strong points. I anticipate looking like a cross between a 12 year old boy going through puberty and an old grandmother in need of an upper lip waxing ... with a few whiskers scattered here and there beneath my nose.
But a pact is a pact, and there is no backing out now. Oh, and yes ... in case you were wondering the mustache is within army regulation as long as it is not covering the upper lip and does not extend past the corners of the mouth. I have been informed that growing a mustache while deployed has become an Army tradition and has been unofficially termed the "Combat Stache."
Fortunately for me, a beard is not within Army regs so I won't have to worry about growing one of those. Besides, my beautiful wife is over 7,000 miles away and I am not trying to impress anyone while I'm here so this may be the perfect time to do it even if it does look ridiculous.
Well, the next few weeks will be interesting. I'll be sure to post a lot of pictures so everyone can get a good laugh.
The "BEFORE" picture ...
First up ... CPT Cuniowski
We started off by shaving a line in everyone's head so no one could have any second thoughts and try to back out of the deal.
The "AFTER" picture ...
Now I'll I need to do is grow the "stache" ...

5 comments:
Oh man, I cannot wait to see your mustache. Have asked if they can extend your tour in Iraq so you can actually try to have one before you leave?
I'm thinking it'll look something like this
Pete, Dad thinks you will have no problem growing the stache! The haircut however....Yikes! But it will grow back, after all it's not like you got a tattoo or something! Maybe everyone on this blog should also get the same haircut and grow a combat stache to be in solidarity with you guys. Are there any women in your unit????? Love Mom and Dad
PS..On second thought, you still look good with or without the hair!
must......be........supportive...... lol, hey Pete, best of luck growing in the stache ;) The shaved head has always looked good on you, it's sad to see the 'wall' get cut!
Post a Comment