Thought I would put up a few pics of my new neighborhood. I live on Screaming Eagle Blvd (see green sign below). You can see the white CHUs (Containerized Housing Units) from the outside. Pretty sweet, huh? Thinking about putting one up in the backyard when I get home for whenever we have guests.
This is my block. My CHU is the first one on the left with the dry erase board on the door. The green sandbags on the right are bunkers. The satellites down on the end bring in the TV and the internet.
These concrete bunkers are everywhere around here. Whenever the natives get restless and we start taking rocketfire or mortar rounds you want to get inside one of these ASAP.
This is our backyard. Little grassy area with some shade, a BBQ grill that someone had sent over years ago, and a small firepit. Once a week, we build a bonfire and throw some burgers on the grill in an attempt to bring a taste of home back into our lives.

7 comments:
This blog rocks, I'd never be able to get this much info out of you when we get together, there's always too much to ctach up on. It's great to be able to visualize your conditions, and to learn new words like 'containerized' :) So you have a grill, can you buy fresh meat at the commisary like steak or just burgers and hotdogs? I'll make sure we grill it up right next time you guys are up!
Thanks Mike, glad your enjoying the info I'm putting out. You guys are getting a unique perspective into the lives of our troops.
We can't great fresh meat but they have frozen burgers and steaks that are flown in from the states. The steaks actually aren't that bad but they don't compare to the world famous "Zylinski Steaks" I have had in the past.
Zylinski Steaks...we have those down here in Greenville too. Delicious but a little pricey.
CHU's rock by the way...I may have to get me one of those too. Playing any "five di" these days? ;)
Pete,this is a little scary for me! Just make sure you get your little butt inside that bunker if anything breaks out! We are always thinking of you, and many people you dont even know are always asking about you and praying for you. Stay safe and God bless you and everyone you are working with. Love mom
Hi Pete, This is Mary of Mary and Dennis (Olender). Sandy sent this link and I have been reading it from the beginning. You are right when you say that we are getting a unique perspective into the lives of our troops. Thank you. We have only met a couple of times but I feel like I know you and Christen much more after reading your blog. I sent the link to a few people who don't know you but promised to keep you in their prayers. God Bless America and all of you.
What up Pete? Your block kind of looks like the G.I. Joe forts you used to set up for us when we were younger. Remember we called it "playin men". Now your really living it.
Hey pete, whats going on man? your blog is awesome man. Be safe buddy always thinkin' about you. Love Joe
Post a Comment