Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day #16 - "Freedom is Not Free"

Yesterday was only my second day here in Iraq but I was immediately thrown into the thick of things. An IED blast blew up some up our guys while on patrol in the city. We had some injured patients arrive all at once. This was our first real test since our unit arrived here and we handled it well. Everyone worked well as a team. Myself, nurses, surgeons, and medics all doing what needed to be done to treat the patients as rapidly as possible.

I am the only ER doctor here in my new unit. Which means I am on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for the full 180 days I am here and must be ready to respond to what ever comes in. This may seem overwhelming at first but actually I see it as an honor to be here to take care of these soldiers that put their lives on the line everyday because that is what our government is asking of them. As I was leaving the ER last night I noticed an inscription painted above the doors on the outside of the hospital. It reads "Freedom is Not Free." It is a solemn reminder to all of us here in Iraq that the sacrifices we make are necessary to preserve the freedoms that we all enjoy and take for granted at home everyday. I couldn't agree more.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It finally hit me what you are doing over there, I obviously knew, but I have an image in my head now. Normally in a new job, you have a few weeks to meet the team, a month or so to learn to work as a group, and if it's a really tough job, a 60-70 hour week. But on call for 180 straight days, trying to save soldiers with the help of random strangers, 2 days after you land? You da man! 2 requests:

1. Keep these updates coming obviously
2. Please blog about what base life is like so far when you get a chance. Do you have your own room, is there a gym or weight set, is the food eatable, are you in a nice sterile air conditioned hospital, etc..

Anonymous said...

Didn't you hear the man, Mike? On call 24 hours a day, 180 days...and your placing blog requests? Get Skype going, and maybe you'll be able to get your own private tour...

Anonymous said...

Skype is going now, but I can read his blog in the bathroom which is something I'm not interested in doing with Skype ;) And I pay tax, so I'm kinda like his employer, which means he does what I ask.

(kidding, not about the bathroom part though)

Pete said...

Nice Mike. I'll try and fill your request by tomorrow. But I am still trying to erase the visual of you SKYPing while on the crapper. Not a pretty site my friend.

Unknown said...

Pete, So glad the guys are OK that you worked on! Awesome job! Stay safe and we love you! everyone sends their love, Dan G, Dan H, Musha and Baba are here right now reading this with us! See you soon...Love mom and dad xoxox

nick c said...

Pete, I am so very proud of you and what you are doing over there. You are truley a hero. Keep up the good work. I love you bro, be safe. Nick Hi Pete, I just wanted to say that I also am very proud of you for being so couragous. We love you and miss you alot. Take care and stay strong.
Vasia

Brian said...

keep doing what you're doing, man. we've got much love for you norton. - the d's

James Olender said...

Crazy stuff Pete-e...but they're lucky to have you; those soldiers are in good hands.

We watched "Body of Lies" last night with Leo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe...heard of it? Interesting flick. Had me thinking of you out there...such a different world. What an interesting perspective you must have on things now.

Anywho, keep the blog going and be safe buddy.

-James