Just a quick post to let everyone know that I made it here safe last night. Took a military plane C-10 about 3 hours from Kuwait to Iraq. It was definitely a new flying experience. About 70 soldiers, dressed in full body armor squeezed into 4 long benches in the back of the plane. See picture below. Before landing in Iraq the plane took a "tactical approach" which means it basically does a 180 and then nose dives down towards the ground and approaches the runway while flying low off the ground to avoid taking any rocket fire. During the descent you basically come up out of your seat and feel your stomach rise up in your throat. As you can imagine there were many passengers that did not handle this too well, with people vomiting to the left and right of me. Thankfully I was not one of them.
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
TX to GA to ME to Germany to Kuwait to Iraq, busy week?? :) Glad the travel is behind you, I'm sure turbulence on a commercial craft will never seem like a big deal again... Good job holding your lunch down too. Keep these updates coming, we're checking the blog a few times a day! I miss you more that James does btw, that guy only befriended you to get with Sandy.
Wow Pete, we are so glad you are there safe and sound. now stay safe OK? It sounded like the landing was really intense-and just like your uncle Dan said too. Mike Z I love you for all your comments on this blog...you are an awesome guy! C'mon people, start posting comments, I know you're reading this, you know who you are! Pete, once you settle in let us know more about where you are and how it is. we love you , love mom and dad xoxox
So glad you're finally on the ground - a woman here at work has a son over there and we compare stories all the time - I had a heads up on what kind of landing you were in for. Dylan's christening is tomorrow, we'll miss you guys being there....stay safe....we love you!
Glad to hear you finally made it there safely and glad to see you have internet access. Can't wait to hear what it is like over there.
Love you,
Sandy
Pete, Your Dad sent me your blog the other day. I have smiled, cried and taken many deep breaths as I read your journey-day by day. I am in total awe of your ability to write with such visual elements that it makes me feel like I am watching a movie when in reality you are living this day in and day out. I know thoughts of your family and your beautiful wife are keeping you strong and focused. Stay SAFE and know that we love you. Leslie, Joe and Troy.
Captain Cunioski,
I work with your mom. She shared your blog with me. I enjoyed reading it and feel somewhat connected.
I'm not a comoputer person so my daughter Gaby helped me get in. Looking forward to reading more.
God Bless and be safe.
Sue Jusino
Post a Comment