Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day #32 - BOOM!

Christen called me via Skype this morning at 6am (well morning for me, it was 10pm for her). We were chatting away when suddenly there was this enormous boom. My entire CHU was rattled and I felt the shock wave travel through my body as I was sitting there at the computer. The explosion lasted only 1-2 seconds and then everything was silent. I quickly asked Chris to hold on as I threw some clothes on and ran outside. It was a beautiful sunny day and all was quiet. A bunch of us were gathered outside of our CHUs speculating about what was happening. A few had their body armor in hand and were heading for the bunkers. Then came the all clear signal as we noticed a thick cloud of black smoke rising from the city about 1/2 mile away. I quickly ran back inside and resumed my conversation with Christen as she nervously asked what was going on.

It wasn't until later today that I found out what had happened. A suicide bomber had driven a truck carrying explosives into a courtyard between a busy train station and an Iraqi police department. He detonated the bomb killing seven and wounding 25-30 others. None of the injured were U.S. soldiers but I am begining to see first hand the horrible toll this war is taking on the Iraqi people. Most of whom are just trying to re-establish their country and start living a normal life again. I found this link to the N.Y. Times article with more details about the attack.(http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/world/middleeast/01iraq.html)

5 comments:

Mike Z said...

that's scary being able to feel the impact at a reasonable distance, the poor people just going about their day :( Glad you and your fellow soldiers are safe and sound, poor Christen in those moments you ran outside... Stay safe!!!

James Olender said...

Wow man, crazy indeed. Certainly happy to hear all is well with the troops.

What about when you were paged the other day...everything ok there?

Mom said...

Dear Pete, Thank God you and your fellow soldiers were not hurt today. We pray for all of you to return safely to us very soon. I don't think any of us can grasp the thinking of a suicide bomber, there is no reasoning in it other than the spreading of evil. I am sorry for those lives lost today, may they rest in peace...Mom

nick c said...

Pete that must have been scary , im just glad you and your fellow soldiers were not hurt. Be sfe out there bro. By the way i like your new do! It reminds me of myself at 17. And i feel you on the facial hair bro i'm in the same boat. Take care of yourself Pete, be safe and stay strong.

Pete said...

Nick - Thanks bro. Will do my best to stay safe. Thanks for feeling my pain on the facial hair thing.

James - nothing serious the other day when I had to answer the page to the ER. Just took a long time that's why I never called back.

Baba - I could not believe you wrote a comment. Great to hear from you. Glad you enjoy reading about my adventures over here. Love you and be careful on those stairs!