Monday, March 9, 2009

Day #9 – 08 March 2009 – “A taste of home …”



I was wandering around the camp today when I came across a Starbucks. That right I said Starbucks. It was amazing. It looked exactly like any other Starbucks back home. On the inside there was dimly lit mood lighting, jazz music coming through the speakers and multiple baristas serving up the latte of your choice. It was really bizarre!! You could sit there and enjoy your coffee and forget you are sitting in the middle of the desert 3,000 miles from home. Later, I discovered the camp is riddled with American eateries: KFC, Taco Bell, Nathan’s Hot Dogs, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut to name a few. Interestingly, all of these places are run by contractors from India and China. Apparently it was a security risk to hire Kuwaitis or Iraqis to perform these jobs on the base so people are coming by droves from India and China to work here. It is weird to see almost as many Indian and Asian people here as there are American soldiers.



Nothing but sand as far as the eye can see in Kuwait. Have yet to see anything green or growing here.
Getting ready to shot some rounds at the pistol range.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so hot...Seriously, I can't imagine that Starbucks line being too long...who jones' for a coffee in the middle of the desert, with all that gear on?? I'm thinking Mr. Fudgey Wudgey Bar from Robert MOses beach would do a a lot more business...

Unknown said...

It kind of looks like the beach-w/o the ocean of course..it must stink for a natural born gardener like you to be in sandland. Kind of makes us appreciate the USA even more I would think...love mom and dad xo

Ange said...

Wow, seeing you in the desert really hits home, and kind of makes it reality now.I can't believe they have a Starbucks and all of those fast food places, thats nuts!